Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Salmon Gateway, Rocamadour, France

10"x20" Oil on Gallery Wrapped Canvas
Palette Knife Painting

Rocamadour, France is a 13th century pilgrimage town with a dramatic, steep, rock-face setting.  The Salmon Gateway is one of 7 remaining gateways or entrances to the town.  Originally there were 11.  They were built to control the large pilgrim crowds who journeyed there from all over Europe to worship. Richard the Lionhearted was one of those pilgrims. During this era the town became a symbol of faith & hope.

There was so much to see in this remarkable town that I became distracted & became lost from my party & wandered out the wrong gate.  I used this opportunity to snap some photos of this magnificent arch.  Later I found out that this arch was know as the Salmon Gateway.  As the story goes, the Dordogne river near the town was once overrun with Salmon.  Workers in the town were fed Salmon so often that they finally rebelled against eating Salmon no more than 3 days a week.

There is so much to see in Rocamadour.  I would like to go back someday & spend the night there.  I almost did on my first visit.

Thanks for taking a look at my palette knife paintings.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment