Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

St. Remy Olive Trees

12x19 Oil   SOLD

If there was ever a place on earth that I felt completely at peace, it was the monastery & grounds at Saint-Paul's Mental Home (or hospital) near St. Remy where Van Gogh painted a large number of his works (150 from May 8, 1889 - May 16, 1890).

"St. Remy Olive Trees" was painted from a photo I took on the right side of the lane leading up to the hospital.  Even after experiencing all the beauty of Provence, this was one of my favorite places, a place where I could meditate & feel at peace, a place where I would have loved to have had the luxury of lingering longer.  I truly believe that Vincent felt at peace here also.  Many times, I have asked myself if my feelings had anything to do with me being a psychiatric nurse.  I'm not quite sure of that answer but I do know how I felt.

This painting was done rather quickly entirely with the palette knife.  Some of the colors are a little harsh but the convey the emotions I felt while painting.

- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment